3.7K views
2.4
Turnaround Time

My wife and I purchased a home within Carolina Arbors - a Dell Webb Community in Durham, NC. Sadly, our expectation of the retirement community has never been met.

1. Our $270,000 cookie cutter house was built for the most part by illegals working for subcontractors in Durham, NC.

2. Pulte experienced multiple delays in the building of the Activity Center. It was completed 8 months following the estimated date of completion.

3. The main fountain at the front entrance is only half working. Pulte managed to negotiate a contract for the fountain with an outfit that went bankrupt. The fountain has never worked more than two weeks to anyone's satisfaction. After only two years - it is only half working and Pulte is not taking any ownership. Although, Pulte shows the fountains working on the Carolina Arbors website.

4. Pulte installed poor gutters on the roofs of resident houses. They are small and create runoff which subsequently lead to washing away mulch.

5. Speaking of mulch, Pulte purchased inferior mulch from Yardnique and the result has been many residents have multiple spots on their houses due to the contaminated mulch. Pulte refuses to take responsibility and has arranged for Yardnique to remove the BAD mulch for $250 at the OWNERS expense.

The above issues are just a sample of what is to be expected at Dell Webb - Carolina Arbors. A real shoddy operation where folks receive kickbacks and in general, their is collusion in regards to taking advantage of folks 55 and over.

Product or Service Mentioned: Del Webb House Construction.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Preferred solution: Just get it right! Quit taking advantage of our residents..

I liked: Neighbors, Floor plan.

I didn't like: Lack of responsiveness, Failure to correct common ground issues, Hoa - unwillingness to help, Bad mulch used, Undocumented workers, Lack of quality.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Apr 29, 2016.

Comments

We visited this community and found multiple instances of cracked and sealed concrete, sunken and flooded water meter boxes, yards torn up (apparently long ago) to correct a gutter drainage problem in the past but not corrected apparently) everywhere to include model homes and sales center). Last bunch of 45 homes being built are same model in a row and lack of quality is evident on these construction sites.

Be careful Pulte is pulling out and if this is HOA and quality prior to builder pulling out...beware!! Not giving them our money.

Sadly, there are people who refuse to ever be happy. We have lived in 8 different communities, most startups, and know there are always issues with new construction.

The difference comes with followup and find Pulte trys to get things right. After reading this review, I wonder if the reviewer lives in my development, because we had just the opposite experience!

to Anonymous #1576519

I would take your comments seriously if you did not choose to be anonymous! There are too many complaints to believe that Pulte and Del Webb are not at fault. I was planning to build a Del Webb home in a 55+ community now I will rethink that!

The black spots are made by artillery fungus . Check University of Pennsylvania web site.

They have done the most research on this. It's not just a mulch problem, it's all over.

We tried pine bark nuggets. Helped some.

U was VERY SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING purchasing in a del Webb community. The poor construction, the same irregular and bad construction issues and appliance issues are discussed all over US.

This scares me about investing my funds in what I was taught about puss poor building practices by one of the largest builders in the 1980s.

Pulse has always had a med to low grade rep. Did not know Webb used so we are now going elsewhere.

Omg and I was considering.

Durham, North Carolina, United States #1307057

We live in Carolina Arbors and love our house! We watched our house being built and feel the construction is good and definitely up to code.

We know the prices a bit high for the sizes of the home but understand that "we bought a lifestyle", not just a house. We love our neighbors and Piedmont Hall is incredible!!! 37,000 SF with every amenity we could wish for. The previous poster seems to be a complainer as well as racist.

The workers may be from another country but they are pleasant and EXTREMELY hard workers...working from sun up to sun down!! Count me as happy Pulte customer!

to Anonymous #1383320

The reviewer said nothing of a racist nature. Sad

YOU should make an argument using facts, not name calling. You didn't refute anything in the review.

to Jp #1460119

Please do not move in here, we do not need any more sour, negative people.

#1194818

6). When sleet and ice form on the streets and sidewalks of this 55 and over Pulte/Del Webb community, noone clears, salts, or brines them for these aging citizens; not the County of Durham or even Pulte/Del Webb!

Nevertheless, Pulte/Del Webb does clear the access points and parking lot to the Sales Pavilion, even though they close the residents' amenity center that all residents pay for through their $174.00/mo. HOA fees!